As published on Tuko.co.ke on April 16th 2020
When looking for the best value in insurance, you need to look for more than just the cheapest insurance policies. While price is a vital component, a valuable insurance policy should provide you with reliable coverage while minimizing your budget. Minet Insurance Kenya prides itself on offering this and much more.
Minet, a trusted pan-African advisor, was established almost 70 years ago as JH Minet Company. In 1997, AON, the leading worldwide provider of risk management, human resource consulting and outsourcing, attained the U.K. stakeholder, London Minet, as part of their African expansion master plan. With that, the firm became AON Minet, and afterwards, AON. The company strives to meet future uncertainties by delivering risk and human capital solutions. It also has access to a network of over 50,000 colleagues in 120 countries and patented data, research, and analytics, which allows them to manage and safeguard the risks of tomorrow.
INSURANCE POLICIES AT MINET
Minet offers a range of insurance policies, which include flood insurance, funeral insurance, facultative reinsurance, risk benefits insurance and medical aid, and group schemes. One of their most noteworthy medical schemes is the AON Minet insurance for teachers. Since the Teachers Serve Commission (TSC) re-awarded AON Minet a three-year contract, over 318,000 employees have medical cover.
REQUIREMENTS AND ELIGIBILITY OF THE 2020 TSC AON MINET MEDICAL SCHEME
Requirements and eligibility of the 2020 TSC AON Minet medical scheme For you to qualify for the cover, you need to be a teacher employed by the TSC and in active service. Dependents are also eligible, but you may put down only one legal spouse, and up to four unmarried biological or legally adopted kids. The cover also includes children from birth to 25 years, provided they are in a renowned post-secondary establishment. There is no age limit for child dependents with disability.
DETAILS ABOUT CHANGE OF DEPENDENTS
Once you are registered, you cannot change your dependents, but you can change at the end of the policy because of death or divorce of a spouse. At the start of each policy period, you will also get a chance to review your cover and change your dependents as you see fit. The end of a policy year occurs in September of every year.
The policy covers pre-mature babies, those born before 38 weeks under the maternity cover. It also includes the legal spouse of the dependent up to the age limit of 70 years. The cover does not cater to the medical needs of relatives of the principal member.
REGISTRATION FOR THE MINET INSURANCE TSC COVER
The registration process for the chief member (teacher) and their dependents is straightforward. It involves a USSD registration and a biometric registration at the hospital.
All you have to do, as a principal member, is to dial *865# on your Safaricom or Airtel line, and key in your TSC and National I.D numbers. If successful, you must enter your name, role and gender after which you will receive a message confirming successful registration and a prompt to register dependents. To register dependents, follow the same process.
HOW TO ACCESS MEDICAL SERVICES FROM MINET
As a member of the Teachers’ Minet medical scheme, you can access any of the AON Minet service providers on the company’s online platform countrywide. The list is available by dialling *340# from your Safaricom/Airtel line. All you need is to follow the on-screen prompts to get the service you need.
BENEFITS FROM MEMBERS OF THE MINET INSURANCE TSC MEDICAL COVER
Benefits for members can be categorized into inpatient services and outpatient services. –> Inpatient services: As part of the inpatient cover, the principal member and dependents are eligible to:
- Emergency road and air evacuation within East Africa leading to admission
- Hospital accommodation charges:
- Group G-N standard ward bed rate of NHIF rebate pay
- Group P-R standard private ward bed rate net of NHIF rebate per day
- ICU/HDU theatre charges
- Physician’s/Surgeon’s remuneration
- Medicine, dressings and internal surgical equipment
- Inpatient radiotherapy, hydrotherapy, chemotherapy, and physiotherapy
- Pathology, ECG, MRI scans, x-ray, ultrasound, and computerized tomography
- Post-hospitalization welfare (within 21 days after discharge from hospital)
- Hospital accommodation for accompanying parent or guardian for hospitalized dependents below seven (7) years
- Rehabilitation services and services such as home care, physiotherapy and occupational therapy Inpatient ophthalmological and dental surgeries
- Treatment of congenital disabilities/genital disorders
- Treatment of HIV/AIDS-related illnesses Treatment of pre-existing and chronic conditions like cancer
–> Outpatient Services: The TSC medical cover will also offer the outpatient cover, which will include the following benefits:
- Regular outpatient consultations
- Daycare surgery for minor surgeries that do not need admission
- Diagnostic laboratory and radiology services like x-rays, ultrasounds, MRI and CT Scans
- Prescribed routine laboratory tests
- Recommended physiotherapy Prescribed drugs and dressing
- HIV/Aids-related conditions and prescribed ARVs to the full limit per family per annum
- Pap smear for ladies and PSA for men (for the principal member-only)
- Dialysis Regular antenatal check-ups
- Regular immunizations and KEPI vaccinations
–> Maternity services: The maternity cover is limited to the principal member and the legal spouse. Newborn babies must be registered immediately upon birth. Some of the benefits included in this package are:
- Routine antenatal check-ups
- Regular immunizations or KEPI vaccinations
- Delivery remunerations
- Emergency and elective caesarean section
- Postnatal care of up to six weeks
- Pre-maturity costs Congenital conditions
–> Dental services: Dental benefits from the scheme include but are not limited to:
- Root canal treatment
- Tooth extractions
- Dental consultations and anaesthetic fees
- Scaling required by a prevailing medical condition and approved by a dentist
–> Optical services: The optical cover caters for all eye-related treatments. It includes, but is not limited to the following benefits:
- Spectacle frames
–> Evacuation services: In case of an emergency, you need to contact Minet immediately through their call centre hotline number. The insurance cover will include the following road and air ambulance and evacuation services:
- Emergency road ambulance evacuation services within East Africa
- Emergency air ambulance evacuation services within East Africa
- Overseas evacuation/treatment abroad in India, if treatment is not available locally and within the policy limits
If a member is involved in a medical emergency, he/she will access services at the recommended service providers in their region of residence. The Minet insurance broker Kenya response team will receive the requests and will coordinate the evacuation process.
–> Last expense benefits: The Last Expense cover is a benefit payable to the next of kin in case of the demise of the principal member, to help in covering the funeral expenses. It is payable within 48hrs and via the mobile money transfer provided you avail all the information needed to Minet. The benefit is of Kshs. 100, 000 across all job groups. To access it, you need to email Minet Kenya notifying them of the death. You must also include a burial permit and an official TSC letter. The email should also include:
- Name of deceased
- TSC number
- Date of death
- Next of kin’s name and designation (spouse and children)
- Next of kin’s ID number
- Next of kin’s contact (mobile number)
–> Group life benefits: The Group Life cover is payable to the family of the deceased to aid in reorganizing their lives after the death of the principal member. The benefit graduates with time across job groups and only applies upon the passing away of the primary member. To access the group life benefit, you need to avail the following information to Minet Kenya:
- Name of deceased
- Death certificate of deceased
- The burial permit
- Surrender of original or copy of ID card of the deceased
- Bank details: bank name, branch, account name and account number
MINET INSURANCE FOR TEACHERS CONTACTS
Should you need further information, or help regarding the AON Minet TSC medical scheme, you can contact them through the numbers below: Call centre hotline: 1528 call or SMS from any mobile network (Safaricom or Airtel) Call centre general lines: 0719-044-799/0719-044-999/0703-604-000
LIST OF MINET INSURANCE HOSPITALS
You can find a list of hospitals that works in partnership with Minet insurance Kenya, in every County, through their website. Here are Minet insurance contacts for different locations: Nairobi town office Location: Jubilee House, ground floor, General Kago street Telephone: +254 071 904 4000 Email: email@example.com Website: minet.com Uhuru Highway office Location: Highway Mall, Mezzanine Floor, Uhuru Highway Telephone: +254 071 904 4000 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Mombasa office Location: Minet House, Kengeleni, Nyali Road Telephone: 254 071 377 7213 / +254 073 249 7300 Email: email@example.com Kisumu office Location: Tuffoam Mall, 1st Floor, Jomo Kenyatta Highway Telephone: +254 071 904 4457 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Nakuru office Location: Baraka Plaza, 1st Floor, Kenyatta Avenue Telephone: +254 071 904 4442 Email: email@example.com Eldoret office Location: KVDA Plaza, 4th Floor, Oloo Street Telephone: +254 071 377 7212 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Nyeri office Location: Sohan Plaza, 3rd Floor, Kimathi Way Telephone: +254 071 904 4000 Email: email@example.com Meru office Location: Tuskys Building, ground floor, Mwendantu Road Telephone: +254 071 904 4461 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Kakamega office Location: Mega Mall, 2nd floor, Webuye Road, opposite Muliro Gardens Telephone: +254 071 904 4000 Email: email@example.com Wajir office Location: Hamdi Plaza, 2nd Floor, Mandera – Nairobi Highway Telephone: +254 071 904 4000 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Minet insurance address Minet Kenya (Head Office), Minet House Processional Way (off Nyerere Rd) P.O. Box 48279-00100 GPO Nairobi, Kenya Telephone: +254 071 904 4000 Email: email@example.com Facebook: @MinetKenya Website: minet.com.
With infectious diseases and other medical conditions cropping up every other day, you need to get insurance. If you are not enrolled to Minet Kenya yet and are under TSC, be sure to check out the benefits you stand to gain from AON Minet insurance medical scheme and get registered.